During the hiring process, you spend countless hours thumbing through resumes. When you find a candidate that’s ultra-promising, especially for a tough to fill position, it’s as if the clouds have parted and little birdies have provided you with the holy grail of candidates. It’s as if the world is right again and nothing could ever go wrong… Until they bomb their interview.
Here are the 12 steps of a very promising candidate turned horrible, terrible, no good, very bad interviewer:
1. Finally! All of your hard work has paid off. You could shout from the rooftops – You’ve found them, you’ve found them!
2. They arrive on interview day and you’re full of hope and anticipation, eager to see how your dream candidate is going to change the way you view the world forever.
3. Now, game face. It’s interview time.
4. Off to a good start – Looking sharp, good hand shake. I like where this is going.
5. Waaaaitaminute… Did they think I wanted to know their life story when I asked them to tell me about themselves? Um, no.
6. Wow, they’re really getting into some detail here… Oh man, did I lock the back door this morning?
7. Are they really still talking?
8. So, um, tell me about your experience or something. Doesn’t really matter to me. I’m totally bored anyways (and I already know I’m not going to hire you).
9. Oh! Ha ha ha. That is just such a funny joke you made. Let’s hear another.
10. Is it over yet?
11. Bravo. You’ve shattered my dreams and crushed my soul. Good day, sir.
12. Later, back in your office…
Job seekers, don’t want this story to become your reality? Prep for your interview and know how not to bore your interviewer to tears… Or make them make them feel trapped in a glass case of emotion.